About the Research
Development of new catalytic reactions using transition metals
My research is on the development of super-efficient and powerful catalysts and chemical reactions through ligand design. The ligand is the molecule that binds to a metal, thus dramatically changing the property of a metal. Fascinated by the very beautiful molecular structure of biological enzymes, I aim to synthesise such a catalyst by the combination of rather simple molecules, rather than preparing very complex and big molecules paying a large synthetic cost.
My work relates to two important trends and demands in my field. One is the utilization of unreactive chemical bonds, for example the unactivated C-H bond, to produce molecular complexity. The other is the asymmetric synthesis of chiral molecules from simple achiral molecules that is important for pharmaceutical science.
The Researcher’s Perspective
Since having become a professional scientist, I like to think that I have become much better at writing, at least in the Japanese language. The necessity to explain my work and its importance to other people in written but also in spoken form gave me an opportunity to grow my abilities in this respect.
For details on MANABIYA course topics, please follow this link. To learn more about MANABIYA in general, please click here.
Representative Research Achievements
- Iridium-catalyzed Asymmetric Borylation of Unactivated Methylene C(sp3)–H Bonds
Reyes, R. L.; Iwai, T.; Maeda, S.; Sawamura, M., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2019, 141, 6817–6821
DOI : 10.1021/jacs.9b01952
- Enantiocontrol by Assembled Attractive Interactions in Copper-catalyzed Asymmetric Direct Alkynylation of a-Ketoesters with Terminal Alkynes: OH···O/sp3-CH···O Two-point Hydrogen-bonding Combined with Dispersive Attractions
Schwarzer, M. C.; Fujioka, A.; Ishii, T.; Ohmiya, H.; Mori, S.; Sawamura, M., Chem. Sci., 2018, 9, 3484–3493
DOI : 10.1039/C8SC00527C
- A Polystyrene-Cross-Linking Bisphosphine: Controlled Metal Monochelation and Ligand-Enabled First-Row Transition Metal Catalysis
Iwai, T.; Harada, T.; Shimada, H.; Asano, K.; Sawamura, M., ACS Catal., 2017, 7, 1681–1692
DOI : 10.1021/acscatal.6b02988
- Copper-Catalyzed Enantioselective Allylic Alkylation of Terminal Alkyne Pronucleophiles
Harada, A.; Makida, Y.; Sato, T.; Ohmiya, H.; Sawamura, M., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2014, 136, 13932–13939
DOI : 10.1021/ja5084333
- Threefold Cross-Linked Polystyrene-Triphenylphosphane Hybrids: Mono-P-Ligating Behaviors and Catalytic Applications for Aryl Chloride Cross-Coupling and C(sp3)–H Borylation
Iwai, T.; Harada, T.; Hara, K.; Sawamura, M., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 12322–12326
DOI : 10.1002/anie.201306769
- Synthesis of Primary and Secondary Alkylboronates through Site-Selective C(sp3)–H Activation with Silica-Supported Monophosphine–Ir Catalysts
Kawamorita, S.; Murakami, R; Iwai, T.; Sawamura, M., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2013, 135, 2947–2950
DOI : 10.1021/ja3126239
- Playing nice: cooperation between metals enables efficient catalytic reaction
- Press Release Blue LEDs light the way toward sustainable development